Hancock, our neighboring village to the South on Highway 51 was also thriving in 1858. It received its articles of incorporation in that year.
The Oshkosh Daily Northwestern presented an interesting story on Hancock in its June 14, 1858 issue, headlined: VIA HANCOCK, PORTAGE TO STEVENS POINT, A 24 HOUR TRIP.
Hancock prior to 1858 was named Sylvester after its first settler and was a major stop in the 24 hour John B. DuBay Stage Company route between the city of Portage and Stevens Point. The trip required an overnight stopover at Coloma Corners at the John Drake Hotel, known on the route as Half-Way House. The one-way fare was $3.50. The Wisconsin Central upon its advent in 1878 made Hancock a central stop and closed the stage line period. The railroad station still stands.
This article appeared in the July 12, 1968 issue of The Pinery newsletter of the Historical Society
(Return to top)
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.