CLIFFORD LUMBER COMPANY

Taken From "Along the Wisconsin River" By A. Decker, 1907

CLIFFORD LUMBER COMPANY

Of the large saw mill plants of the valley, the one operated by the Clifford Lumber Company gives some idea of where the forests of Wisconsin are going to. The consumption of such a plant is enormous, and it has contributed much to the wealth and commercial importance of Stevens Point. This company commenced business thirty years ago.

W. J. Clifford came to Stevens Point over forty years ago, and has been active in business circles from the start. He is president of the company, and his son, John W. Clifford, secretary and treasurer. They have large tracts of timber along ‘the Wisconsin Central Railroad and along the Wisconsin River and its tributaries. They cut ten million feet of lumber a year, and employ one hundred and fifty men in the woods, and eighty men at their mills and yard in the city. They own and operate a large planing mill, and most of their product is sold as dressed lumber, finding a market in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota. They pay good wages to their men and are among the solid substantial firms that have done much to develop the Wisconsin Valley, and especially to make the little city of Stevens Point what it is. The logs are brought in over the Wisconsin Central by rail, and a goodly number still being floated down the Wisconsin River. The seasoning lumber piled up about the plant is an imposing sight to the stranger, and we cannot but wonder how many years this can continue. The members of this firm are among the most loyal businessmen of the city. Their homes and home life are a model in many respects.

      

See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.