|Taken From "Along the Wisconsin River" By A. Decker, 1907|
COMMERCIAL HOUSE, JUNCTION CITY
When the train is nearing Junction City, and we hear the sharp, shrill cry of the brakeman announce the name of this railroad station, it does not mean very much except to the hungry traveler who is waiting and watching for an opportunity to secure a square meal. This is strictly a junction point and is filled with hospitality and great content. The city itself relies for its attraction on the two lines of railroad and its hotel. It can show little of commercial interest. The city is quiet with a feeling of perpetual afternoon. There is a suppressed hum in the air which seems to be a sound made by silence. It is quite a point for fishermen to gather, and if the sportsman is willing to invade the thick tangled forest and endure the hardship imposed by a contact with nature in her uncivilized garb, he will find no better sport than in the vicinity of this little hamlet.
The Commercial has been known to the traveling public for many years. F. E. Culver took charge of this hotel about two years ago, since which time it has been greatly improved, and the service brought up to a standard that meets the requirement of the traveling public. The dining room is large and well lighted. The hotel has twenty guest rooms, and the service will compare favorably with hotels and railroad eating stations in any part of the country. Mr. Culver is an agreeable and accommodating proprietor, and is ever and always ready to make his guests feel entirely at home. He is the right man in the right place.
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.