|Taken From "Along the Wisconsin River" By A. Decker, 1907|
This hotel is one of the most complete and best-appointed hotels in the Wisconsin Valley. It is located near the commercial center of the city, yet away from the noise and bustle of the business section. The hotel is three story and has over forty rooms for the accommodation of their guests. It is heated throughout by steam and lighted by electricity. The rooms are large; well ventilated and kept scrupulously clean and in every way the hotel is modern and up-to-date. The clerical force is courteous, obliging and capable, and the service in every department is first-class. The office and reading rooms, dining room and sample rooms are on the ground floor, and are very complete as to capacity and service. This hotel has been very popular, both with the local trade and the traveling public ever since its establishment. From the first it attracted a heavy patronage, and often every room is filled without meeting the full demand for accommodation. Each year has witnessed an increase of the popularity.
Mr. Jacobs built this hotel and has been its proprietor for over thirty years. As "mine host" he has been indefatigable in looking after the comfort of his guests, is ever planning some new improvement and has shown great ability as a hotel man. Mr. Jacobs is a pioneer among the pioneers. He came to Stevens Point when the little lumbering hamlet was surrounded by the pine forest and when there was no promise of the prosperity that was to come. Mr. Jacobs has lived to see other resources greater than "king pine," and to see a development which he and the other pioneers did not deem possible in these early days.
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.