Stevens Point’s first school was taught by Miss Mandana Hale in 1846-47. At that time Stevens Point consisted of five families and some lumber camps. These families decided to club together and hire a teacher. One of their number, a Mr. Bangle, was going to Belvidere, Illinois for his family, and he was authorized to bring a teacher back with him, which he did.
Miss Hale was an excellent horsewoman and she drove one of the loaded ox teams from Belvidere, Illinois to teach a four-month’s term of school at Stevens Point.
The building used for school purposes was a hastily improvised board shanty, and could be used only during the warm weather. Miss Hale taught again the next year although married at that time.
In 1849 a district was formed and a building erected at a cost of $600. In 1858 the White School was built where the Lincoln School (currently site of Lincoln Center) now stands. There were seventeen pupils in the White School at that time, counting what few came from Linwood.
In 1908 the 50th anniversary of the old White School and Pioneer Days was celebrated by a great Home Coming in which some of the first teachers and old pioneers came back to the city.
-as told by Mrs. G. B. Clark in 1927
Note - Miss Hale became Mrs. N. F. Bliss, the mother of Geraldine Bliss Clark.
Originally published in The Pinery, April 1964
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.