The Act of Incorporation provided for a Mayor and Board of Aldermen. The city was divided into three wards with two aldermen for each ward. Election precincts were also established. One of the important benefits of the city charter was the fact that the city was now entitled to three representatives on the County Board. The first election was held on June 26, 1856 end the following were the first elected officers of the new City of Stevens Point:
Mayor - William W. Schofield
Treasurer - H. B. Martin
Aldermen - Moses Perkins, Anson Rood, Valintine Brown, Seth W. Holmstad, A. G. Hamaker and H. Ferguson
The new City Council met for the first time on July 1, 1858 in the Old District School House and elected the remaining needed city officials - a city clerk, attorney, street commissioners, and surveyor. They also named one of their members, Anson Rood, as President of the Council.
First appeared in the Pinery June 12, 1958
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.