Civil War - 1861-1865
The American Civil War or "War of the Rebellion" claimed more lives combined than all of the wars with U.S. involvement before or since. The Society has a small collection of Civil War items.
Portage County Memorial
The monument inscription reads:
To Her Heroes Who Fought
And Her Martyrs Who Fell
That the Republic Might Live
by Stevens Post No. 156 G.A.R.
Department of Wisconsin
Plover Post 149
Capt. I. Eckles Post
Blaine Post 115
Women's relief Corps No. 96
And the People of Portage Country
Dedicated Sept. 2, 1890
From Our Collections
- The Civil War Draft in Plover and Stevens Point: A Study in Efforts, Attitudes, Frustrations, and Results
- Jerome Adams
- Civil War Flag - carried by the 18th Wisconsin Volunteer Regiment
- Col. James S. Alban - Civil War hero killed at Shiloh.
- Jerome Nelson
- Plover's role in the Civil War
- Portage County Civil War Veterans - A list compiled by Malcom Rosholt for his history of Portage County: "Our County Our Story".
External LinksGoogle Books -- can be read online or downloaded as a pdf file.
- History of the Third regiment of Wisconsin veteran volunteer infantry 1861-1865 By Edwin Eustace Bryant
- Story of the service of Company E: and the Twelfth Wisconsin Regiment veteran volunteer infantry 1861-1865 By Hosea W. Rood
- The Thirty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry By James Madison Aubery
- The War of the Rebellion - Official Records
- The War of the Rebellion By Theodore Burr Gates
- Shotgun's Home of the American Civil War -- good collection of material.
- Son of the South -- an extensive collection of Civil War material.
- Civil War Veterans of Clark County Wisconsin
- Son of Union Veterans of the Civil War -- Wisconsin
- Roster of Wisconsin Civil War Veterans
- The Life of Clara Barton
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.