The depot was originally located in Bancroft on the Wisconsin Central Railway. It was built in 1898, and later became part of the Soo Line. During its heyday, the depot was an important stop on the "P line", the Soo Line's branch extending from Portage to Point (hence the name).
The exterior of this building and 1st floor have been restored to its 1920’s look by the Central Wisconsin Model Railroaders, Ltd., They are using the basement as a clubhouse. This is the only remaining example of the 6 depots built in this style. Since being moved to the Park on June 13, 1990, the platform and first floor interior, 2nd floor, adding a RR siding and caboose have been completed.
A more detailed description is at The Bancroft Depot by Don Kottke.
See our Permissions page for use and copyright information.